Hey friends! Who has gone through a renovation?! Big or small, it always seems to go over budget and take twice as long as expected! My husband, Jon, and I bought my grandparents house about 4 years ago and it needed a lot of work! My grandparents built the house in the 60s and lived in it until they moved into town. After that, my aunt rented it for about 6 years. When we moved in, it was a disaster! I was horrified to see my grandmas once beautiful blue kitchen painted into an awful brown color! The kitchen was very old however, and definitely needed updating!
Jon and I began our demolition pretty soon after we were in the house. We starting repainting, tearing up the floors, tearing up trim, replacing doors, handles, and much, much more! However, we both decided we really needed to do a full on remodel in the kitchen. It IS the most important room in the house! So we started demolishing! We literally gutted the kitchen all the way down to the sub floor and bare walls.
Some important things to keep in mind during a kitchen renovation are:
- If you are not gutting out the space yourself, hire someone to take care of it for you.
- Plan out your budget literally to the very last light bulb!
- Prepare a backup plan while the kitchen is out of order.
- Make sure you have all the supplies you need to begin and finish the project. Of course there will be things you’ll forget so you can always run to the store to get them!
- Call a contractor, electrician, and plumber ahead of time to get scheduled.
- Meet with a contractor to plan the new design of your kitchen layout.
- Plan out your color scheme, and make sure everything will compliment each other.
- Order cabinets, countertops, appliances, flooring, and lighting ahead of time so when the time comes for it to go in, it’s there and ready!
- Make sure the dimensions of the appliances will fit with the cabinets you ordered!
- Ready, set, go! Time to get to work!
The remodel took way longer than we would have liked, but it’s done! We enjoy this kitchen immensely! There are a couple little things I would change if I could, but for the most part I LOVE it! Jon did a lot of the work and he made sure I got exactly what I wanted! What an awesome husband I have!